We are following several threads on the changing ecommerce landscape here at Early Moves. Here is an overview.
Increasingly, big companies with global -instead of international- strategies are setting the agenda. Amazon is the obvious example. Berlin based online fashion retailer Zalando is another one. On the other hand, Rocket Internet’s rather traditionally international strategy is problematic in my eyes.
- Global Scale Strategies: Amazon Providing Ocean Freight Services Is At First About Chinese Sellers
- Why Rocket Internet’s ‘Network Effects Within a Country’ Is a Problematic Strategy
- “Global Supply Chain by Amazon”: Disintermediation Will be the Name of the Game
There is much to learn from how Amazon pushed and established Amazon Prime and keeps iterating on it. Start with this primer.
- A Prime Bundle
- Prime Dynamics: Merchant Increased Sales by 20 Percent with Seller Fulfilled Prime
- How Pharmapacks Made $70 Million in 2015 on Amazon Marketplace With Algorithmic Pricing
- Report: Amazon Prime’s US membership at 54 million (half of US households) in 2015
- Amazon Prime Has As Much Potential As It Is a Strategic Black Hole
- Amazon Household: Where Is the Amazon Prime Family Plan?
- Platform Company: How AWS Hints at the Structure of Amazon’s Present and Future Businesses
- Why Postmates’ New Subscription Plan Compares Unfavorably To Amazon Prime
- How The Prime Cross-Subsidy Model Could Eventually Lead To A Fight between Amazon And DeliveryHero
Amazon’s New Device Based Platforms
Having missed the smartphone platform wars (and having failed colosssaly with the Fire Phone) Amazon has been hard at work at future hardware based platforms. All of these are promising in different ways: Amazon Alexa, the voice interface platform prominently manifested in the Echo (start with this primer), Fire TV, and the Dash Button and the Dash Replenishment Service. Interestingly, they are all platforms for the (smart) home. Two, the dash universe and the Alexa universe, are part of a larger trend I call ‘Screenless E-Commerce’, for lack of a better term.
- Post-PC Online Retail: Why and How Amazon is Building the Alexa Voice Platform
- 3 Million Echoes: Why Amazon’s Alexa Voice Platform Is Here To Stay
- How Amazon built the Echo
- Amazon’s Increasing TV Ambitions
- Amazon Underground: Amazon May Finally Have A Vital App Store And Why That Matters
- Screenless E-Commerce: Amazon Dash Replenishment Service starts rolling out
- Amazon’s Dash Button Is Moving Forward As The Entry Point To A New Way Of Shopping
- Hiku: A Potential Dash Platform For Walmart And Others
- ‘QVC 2.0’ and beyond: Why Fire TV is Amazon’s most important device
Zalando’s Platform Strategy
About a year ago Zalando announced a new platform strategy with tools for brands and marketers and a new approach to mobile with multiple apps. This ongoing transformation form a rather traditional online retailer to a true platform company is a work in progress we follow closely.
- Zalando Signals Coming Marketing Spending Increase, Most Likely to Push Fleek & Movmnt
- Zalando’s Same-Day-Delivery app ZipCart Expands, but Remains a Puzzle
- Zalando’s Fashionflow is a Tinder-like Fashion Shopping App
- Zalando’s Plans for the Coming “Fulfillment by Zalando” Service
- Capital Markets Day ’16: Zalando sees Itself as the Spotify of Fashion
- Zalando: What is Fleek’s Value Proposition for Users and Brands?
- Zalando Media Solutions & the Diversification of Revenues at Big Online Retailers
- “The Studio”: Zalando’s Separate Space For Research On The Mobile User Experience
- Why Zalando’s Robert Gentz Decided To “Rethink The Entire Business”
- Amaze, The ‘Tinder For Fashion’, Brings Fashion Data To A New Level
Ecommerce in a Post-PC World
The two aforementioned topics are a part of this thread. In essence, “Ecommerce in a Post-PC World” could be the tagline for this publication as we try to capture the new dynamics of an online retail world driven by smartphones, smart TV platforms and other new platforms far and away from the old paradigm of the desktop, the browser and the web; for good and for bad. Start at this primer for a lot of still open questions regarding the new dynamics.