Zalando hopes to eventually take 5 percent of the fragmented European fashion market, up from about 1 percent now, and is investing in technology to increase customer satisfaction and speed up delivery. It is allowing brands such as Adidas (ADSGn.DE) and Superdry to sell directly on its website and said on Thursday it had bought Tradebyte Software GmbH this month to help digitize the stock in the warehouses of its partners.
“to help digitize the stock” sounds very abstract. Tradebyte is a successful German e-commerce service provider allowing merchants and manufacturers to connect to more than 65 marketplaces and distribution channels “in over 16 countries”. Tradebyte advertises standardised exchange formats and connections. In the company’s own words:
Consistent and standardised exchange formats and transmission paths – supported end-to-end by Tradebyte – enable a fully-automatic and always synchronous data flow. Highly-scalable SaaS solutions building on the modern ecosystem, provide the necessary functions out-of-the-box. The Tradebyte ecosystem overcomes barriers and saves resources with a short time-to-market.
Zalando’s platform strategy is closely tied to several marketplace initiatives. For one, Zalando increasingly lets big brands play a larger role on its main shop, giving these companies more room to present themselves and be more closely connected on the logistics side. Fashionunited, last December, on this partner program:
„Part of this scheme includes a pilot, which Zalando started with sportswear company adidas, which connects the brands‘ warehouses through software system Anatwine and offers customers access to a wider adidas assortment.
Known as the „Zalando Partner Program,“ the test phase allows shoppers freedom to purchase adidas product directly through the company, even if they are sold out on Zalando.“
Zalando’s mobile strategy is also very much tied to markeplaces with its current main new apps: Fleek is a marketplace with new discovery mechanisms and Movmnt is a marketplace for outlets.
- Zalando: What is Fleek’s Value Proposition for Users and Brands?
- Zalando Media Solutions & the Diversification of Revenues at Big Online Retailers
- What Zalando has Planned for its Platform and for the UK
- Zalando: “We Want To Become An Open Fashion Platform”
- Zalando’s Platform is, Unfortunately, Closer to Rocket Internet than to Amazon
- “Distributed Commerce”: How Zalando Wants to Make Selling Fashion go Mobile
- Zalando Signals Coming Marketing Spending Increase, Most Likely to Push Fleek & Movmnt
- How Fleek is Trying to Fulfill Zalando’s Claim of Being the “Spotify of Fashion”
- MOVMNT: Zalando Launches Mobile Fashion Outlet App