In this context what the survey shows is, for current Prime subscribers in the US, video is mostly an add-on benefit rather than the main reason people use Prime. Just 5% of respondents said they don’t use the shipping features, while the other 95% or so all use the two-day shipping benefit at least sometimes (…)
(…) it’s also interesting to note over 40% of the total base uses video either exclusively or more commonly alongside the shipping benefits.
Conclusion: While people sign up for the whole Prime bundle, and video is a main driver for that, this study suggests that the majority of Prime subscribers in the U.S. are then not routinely using Prime’s video streaming part.
This would explain the (in my eyes) still comparatively low usage numbers of Amazon Video in the U.S.
More important though: Prime subscribers are Prime subscribers because they want to buy things at Amazon. More comfortable online shopping is the main reason, not the media within the Prime bundle.
(Hence this being very lucrative for Amazon.)
- Jeff Bezos & The “Flywheel” Metaphor for Amazon Prime and Prime Video
- Is Amazon Video, now at 4.26% of U.S. Prime Time Downstream, Growing Fast Enough?
- Why Amazon ‘Unbundles’ Prime and Video: Faster Prime Adoption, Easier TV Expansion
- ShippingPass: Does Walmart Stand a Chance with Two-Day Shipping against Amazon Prime?
- Amazon: Prime Memberships Grew 51% Worldwide in 2015; 47% in U.S.
- A Prime Bundle