It looks like Bengaluru will become, or already is, depending on your perspective, India’s ecommerce hub.
Times of India on Alibaba’s future headquarters in India:
Chinese e-commerce heavyweight Alibaba’s Indian operations are likely to be headquartered in Bengaluru, which is also the base for American rival Amazon and local leader Flipkart. (…)
The initial office space requirement is for 150-200 people, with options to take up more later, sources familiar with the matter said. Senior Alibaba officials, including K Guru Gowrappan, have been involved in the decision-making on office space. No final decision has been taken yet.
Rakuten, still only an also-ran outside of Japan, opened in April of this year an office in Bengaluru as well. The company operates a development and operations center there since 2014. (And in case you are wondering, Snapdeal is headquartered in New Delhi.)
Alibaba is said to come to India by the end of the current year or early next year.
In the meantime, after everyone has realised thanks to Uber and Didi Chuxing that you just don’t get into the Chinese market without being a local or having a strong local ally, Alibaba uses this situation to boost its own B2B services:
China’s largest e-commerce company is aiming to help them comply with local regulations and sell their products, as it seeks news areas of growth to combat a slowing economy at home. Its new AliLaunch programme makes use of its cloud computing platform and can help clients with joint ventures and marketing. Its biggest customer so far is Germany’s SAP, which will sell its Hana data-software and services on Alibaba’s cloud.
- What Alibaba Does Differently in Mobile Than Amazon
- Alibaba and the Future of Commerce
- Alibaba’s $3 Billion Five-Year Loan: More Money for Investments Abroad
- How Amazon is Tackling India
- Amazon is Bringing Price War and Video Investment to India, but What About Alibaba?
- While Amazon Launches Prime in India, Flipkart-Owned Myntra Buys Jabong
- Alibaba Is Looking at India, but Not at Investing in Flipkart