The biggest logistics news: Fulfillment by Zalando has its first external customer:
Announced in March at this year’s capital markets day, Fulfillment by Zalando got tested internally with Zalando’s zlabels and MVMNT. From March:
Fulfillment services by Zalando can’t be ramped up fast enough. Without them, Zalando’s mobile marketplaces Fleek and MOVMNT can not fulfill their potential.
Zalando pointed out the reason in March:
Happy customers receive one single parcel (from multiple brands)
Zalando’s platform vision is more or less to become an infrastructure provider for the fashion industry.
After the first ‘satellite’ logistics location in Italy, Zalando is opening up the second ‘satellite’ in Paris in the first quarter of 2017. Besides that, Zalando is building a logistics hub in Poland that will start operations in the second half of 2017.
Like Etsy, Zalando’s marketplaces are centered around services. But of course Fulfillment by Zalando is not just in name directly inspired by Amazon.
- Zalando’s Plans for the Coming “Fulfillment by Zalando” Service
- Etsy and the Quest for Successful Specialized Marketplaces
- Capital Markets Day ’16: Zalando’s Strategy Behind Movmnt
- Capital Markets Day ’16: Zalando sees Itself as the Spotify of Fashion
- Zalando’s Logistics Infrastructure Becomes a Little Less Centralized
- By 2020, Zalando Wants to Offer Next-Day Delivery to 75% of All Europeans