Terry Swann, Zalando’s global head of talent, outlined the company’s hiring plans in a Slack channel that boasts around 400 talent managers and recruitment execs from technology companies across Europe. […]
The full memo reads:
“Hi All, i’m looking for at least 5 technical recruiters of varying seniority here at Zalando in Berlin. The salary range is €35-€60, which goes a long way in Berlin (you can get a flat in the centre of town for less than 1000 a month). The task is to hire 1000 engineers in 2017, please message me directly if you’re at all interested. Thanks!”
Those numbers are surprisingly high. But the direction itself is not surprising as Zalando keeps building itself into a tech driven company with several platforms/marketplaces to take care of.
In April of this year, Zalando signaled a coming marketing spending increase, which as far as I’m aware did not come to pass (yet). Back then, I guessed it would mean marketing Zalando’s mobile marketplace apps Fleek and Movmnt. (Both of which are still awaiting “official” launches.) Those mobile apps are better served with small(ish) teams. Even Zalando’s B2B initiatives don’t really warrant adding 1,000 engineers.
Anyone who has an idea where Zalando is planning to deploy those 1,000 engineers, we are all ears.
I can not really think of anything needing this much this immediately.
- Zalando Signals Coming Marketing Spending Increase, Most Likely to Push Fleek & Movmnt
- Zalando Founds Payment Subsidary And Zalando Adtech Lab
- How Zalando Uses Mobile Notifications
- Fulfillment by Zalando Goes Live With First Customer
- Zalando Research Is Shaping the Future of Online Fashion
- How Zalando is Dwarfing Zara’s Success Story