“Just Amazon, nothing else besides”: Diapers/Quidsi isn’t alone, it seems. According to our (as of yet unconfirmed) information, Amazon will close down BuyVIP as well, the employees at BuyVIP have been told.
Amazon bought Spain based BuyVIP, a shopping club, in 2010 for $97 million.
In Europe, Vente-Privée and Showroomprivé are attacking and buying local shopping clubs and are, in the process, building powerful players against which a BuyVIP may have a harder and harder time in Spain and Italy.
eBay is looking at selling Germany based Brands4Friends as well, according to our (as well still unconfirmed) information. (eBay bought Brands4Friends in 2010, as well.)
Seems like the age of (acquired) shopping clubs at large e-commerce players is coming to an end.
By Jochen Krisch and Marcel Weiß
- What Diapers.com/Quidsi’s Fate Tells Us About Amazon’s Future M&A Activities
- Vente-Privee, Farfetch and Others Represent Growing Danger to Yoox Net-A-Porter
- Showroomprivé grows to €540 Million (+22%) and Buys Beauteprivee
- Farfetch Grows Gross Sales to $800m (+70%) And Gets Net-a-Porter Founder Natalie Massenet to Join
- Could Amazon India Help Amazon Get Better at Fashion?
- Amazon to Acquire Middle Eastern Online Retailer Souq After All